This seemed to be true of at least the older AES3 interfaces on Wheatstone boards. If the "consumer bit" was set in the header, the board wouldn't accept data. Our Logitek boards ignored that bit. For the first few years of operation we used some $25 USB to TOSLINK (Optical SPDIF) block bought on eBay connected to an TOSLINK to AES3 converter. We stopped when the drivers for those fell out of a new Centos release. The same outfit also made USB to coaxial (RCA pin jack) SPDIF versions. I found a nice paper written by Rane that goes into some detail about converting AES and SPDIF at the electrical level.

https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/pdf/ranenotes/Interfacing_AES3_&_SPDIF.pdf <https://www.ranecommercial.com/legacy/pdf/ranenotes/Interfacing_AES3_&_SPDIF.pdf>

- Bill