First off, thanks so much for the response Rob!

I decided to make a completely new machine from scratch and start over and
this lead to some limited success.  I am able to to latch close, open or
pulse any relay on the SRC-4 from macro carts in Rivendell.  I'm using the
"Serial Out" command SO.  The command in my macro cart is SO 0 *0O1RP! The
P is for pulse and it works great.

Unfortunately, I am unable to get Rivendell to respond to inputs from the
SRC-4.  I'm using the command SI 0 050013 *011!.  050013 is a macro cart
with a PN 1! command, 011 on the SRC-4 indicates when relay 01 is closed
and PN is the play next command.  Here's where it gets STRANGE...I swear
this worked last night before I left!  I tested by having a bunch of audio
carts in RD Airplay and every time I closed RLY 1 it would advance to the
next cart. But, since I came in this morning I cannot get it to work
again!  PuTTY shows the *011 coming into the serial port reliably, but
Rivendell just sits there.  Guessing by what appears to be inconsistent
behavior, I'm kinda thinking getting Rivendell to interface with a serial
device is not as straight forward as it appeared.

I appreciate Rob's suggestion!  However, I would now need to go learn how
to write and use these scripts (not something I do everyday) in order to
get this system to respond to serial commands.  Given the time invested
already, I may need to cut my losses.

Question on the table is - does anyone have a script ready made (perhaps
you wrote it to address this same issue) along with instructions on how to
use it?  Additionally, any of you guys care to do it for hire?  I don't
who on this list does freelance work.

Thanks for your time!

Kevin