On Sat, 2012-05-12 at 18:48 +0200, Tomas Ligursky wrote:
> 2012/5/9 John Horne:
> > On Tue, 2012-05-08 at 15:37 +0200, Tomas Ligursky wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I am new to rkhunter and would like to ask for a help. I use Kubuntu
> > > 11.10 and I have performed a scan by rkhunter version 1.4.0. Besides
> > > other warnings discussed many times before, I have got the following:
> > > [12:30:18] Info: Starting test name 'filesystem'
> > > [12:30:18] Performing filesystem checks
> > > [12:30:18] Info: SCAN_MODE_DEV set to 'THOROUGH'
> > > [12:30:18]   Checking /dev for suspicious file types         [ Warning ]
> > > [12:30:18] Warning: Suspicious file types found in /dev:
> > > [12:30:18]          /dev/.udev/rules.d/root.rules: ASCII text
> > >
> > > Although I guess that /dev/.udev/rules.d/root.rules is a regular file,
> > > I am no Ubuntu expert and I do not know whether the one of mine is not
> > > corrupted in some way. Find attached its copy.
> > >
> > I don't run Ubuntu myself, but I would have said that perhaps asking on
> > an Ubuntu list as to whether the file is valid or not would have been
> > better.
>
> Thank you, John. Probably, you're right.
>
> Nevertheless, any idea why rkhunter flagged the file as suspicious?
> Just because it is present in the /dev directory or could be there yet
> another reason?

It is suspicious because it is not usual to have plain text files in
the /dev directory.

Unfortunately it seems to be becoming a bit more common in some Linux
distros. Yet I have seen no change in the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
(FHS), so text files should not be present or rather should still be
considered suspicious.

John.

--
John Horne, Plymouth University, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001