> Are you suggesting a robot is checking that string against
> its UA???  I find
> that hard to believe, but assuming that is the case such a
> robot would be
> allowed unrestricted access to looksmart.com, including all
> their Pay Per
> Click (PPC) URLs.  I'm thinking that many robots are reading
> looksmart.com,
> some with permission from robots.txt, and some without.

Yes, that would be the case. For some unknown reason Looksmart allows
recognized robots/crawlers/spider and other non-standard user-agents
unlimited access according to the the robots.txt - all others are excluded.
I'd guess the weird looking "java" user-agent originates from an Java
application running on a platform/JVM unable to set the user-agent property.
The guys at Looksmart probably detected it in their logfiles...

> I'm looking for reasons why advertisers can't reconcile
> clickthroughs with
> the figures provided by Looksmart.
>
> One suggestion is that if Looksmart aren't checking the User Agents of
> clients accessing the PPC URLs, that would be a reason why
> many more clicks
> were being seen by Looksmart than by advertisers.  The robot
> either may not
> follow the redirect, or may follow without providing a
> referrer, or may be
> silently filtered by an advertiser's stats package because it
> is a robot not
> a human visitor.
>
> Another suggestion is that some robots will be masquerading
> as browsers, but
> still may not follow redirects or send a referrer allowing
> the clicks to be
> reconciled.

That would be true, unless some sort of server-side mechanism ensures that
these well-known (probably non-human) users are provided with a different
content than "normal" users, i.e. pages without PPC URLs. You could check
this theory by creating a simple "robot", using one of the user-agents in
the robots.txt file, and comparing the server output with the output given
to a normal user (IE, Mozilla, Opera...).

> I'm trying to gather likelihood on the possibility of each
> scenario, so I'm
> looking for
>
> a) how many robots, given www.looksmart.com/robots.txt, would
> read those
> looksmart.com PPC URLs?
> b) how many of those robots would be recognisable as robots,
> i.e. use a
> unique User Agent?
>
> Do we all agree that if a robot masquerades as a browser,
> ignores robots.txt
> and incurs clickthrough fees for advertisers, then the
> advertisers' beef (if
> any) should be with the robot owner rather than the PPC
> provider?  But if a
> robot sends a recognisable UA, complies with robots.txt and
> advertisers
> still incur clickthrough fees, the advertisers' beef (if any)
> should be with
> the PPC provider?

eh...beef?

> Alan Perkins
> CTO, e-Brand Management Limited
> http://www.ebrandmanagement.com/

Rasmus T. Mohr            Direct  :             +45 36 910 122
Application Developer     Mobile  :             +45 28 731 827
Netpointers Intl. ApS     Phone   :             +45 70 117 117
Vestergade 18 B           Fax     :             +45 70 115 115
1456 Copenhagen K         Email   : mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Denmark                   Website : http://www.netpointers.com

"Remember that there are no bugs, only undocumented features."