Happy Halloween!   And, if you can't view the image, please see it here ...

http://www.internationalliving.com/bin/v/v/halloween103106.jpg

~~ SuzQ ~~

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 11:39 AM
Subject: Phantoms

We interrupt your regular scheduled Postcards series, The Ultimate Retirement For Today's American, for this urgent announcement: The editors are no longer in control. Today, All Hallows' Eve, is our day. From dark cracks, we ghouls, demons, specters, and monsters emerge as the sun sets on the world tonight. Meet some of us below; the rest of us will see you later this evening… Your editors will no doubt have regained control by tomorrow, and The Ultimate Retirement For Today's American will resume.

Ahhh ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!
Phantoms
International Living Postcards--your daily escape
http://www.internationalliving.com
Hallowe'en, 2006

Montreal, Canada

Dear International Living Reader,

Some say Montreal is scary even without ghosts. Most of its citizens insist on speaking French. They eat poutine--a gruesome mess of fries, curd cheese, and gravy. And if that doesn't frighten you, just hang around Bagels Etc on Boulevard Saint-Laurent. When he's in town, it's a favorite haunt of the "Godfather of Gloom," singer-songwriter Leonard Cohen.

But for some real spine-tingling, follow me. Plug your eardrums into Cohen's Death of a Ladies Man and explore Montreal's creepy history.

--- Advertisement --
Discover 46 countries on six continents for under $40…
We asked our network of 200-plus seasoned travelers and expatriates to spill their best-kept secrets, and they obliged. The result is a rare glimpse into 5,102 of the world's most fascinating places to go and things to do ever assembled…
From the sites you shouldn't miss…to the things you might unless you know where to look for them: hidden mountain monasteries in Bulgaria, exotic markets in China, raucous nightlife in Brazil, dirt-cheap dinners in Central America, and unspoiled coastlines everywhere…
Sample the best the world has to offer, without the jetlag and airfare tab, today.
-----------------------------
Dorchester Square is a good start. In the 1800s, it served as a cemetery for cholera victims. Rumor tells that not all who were interred had shuffled off this mortal coil. To prevent the disease spreading, burials were speedy...sometimes too speedy. Heavily dosed with morphine (thought to be a cure), some of the sick lapsed into unconsciousness and were promptly buried alive.
I hadn't time to check if French soldiers' ghosts gathered around Fort Stewart on St. Helen's Island, but Vieux (Old) Montreal's Rue Saint-Pierre proved inexplicably spirit-free. Although said to be haunted by executed prisoners, not one passerby had a noose around his neck.

One well-documented gallow's tale is that of Angelique, a black slave accused of setting fire to her furrier master's home on rue Saint-Paul in 1734. The fire spread and burned down much of the colonial city. Angelique initially denied the crime, but after having her legs crushed by torture, she confessed.

On route to her appointment with the hangman, Angelique wore a white chemise emblazoned with the word incendiaire (arsonist). As she was also forced to carry a torch symbolizing the crime of arson, you'll easily recognize her unquiet spirit.
Rue Saint-Paul also claims to have a phantom carriage. Along with horse and driver, it vanishes when anyone tries to climb in. How to tell if one of today's horse-drawn carriages is really the ghost-mobile? I don't know, but to ensure your money doesn't vanish too, best leave paying until the ride is over.

Doubting IL would fund expensive carriage rides over Vieux Montreal's cobblestones, I instead headed to Chateau Ramezay. I'd read this museum displayed an iron cage which had been erected at a crossroads to hold the decomposing corpse of Marie-Josephe Corriveau. Hanged as a witch in 1763, legend tells she returns to the cage tonight.

Sadly I couldn't find the cage...and the receptionist had never heard the story. A crone-like guide who looked at least 200 years old was summoned from the museum's depths. She didn't know the cage's whereabouts, but explained all about La Corriveau--who had dabbled in murder as well as witchcraft. She freed herself of two husbands by pouring molten lead into their ears. I assumed their restless wraiths were prowling about somewhere, too.

Montreal's most infamous apparition is Mary Gallagher, the headless "supernatural sex worker." Before fate intervened, she'd plied her trade as a lady of the night in Griffintown, a rough-and-tumble Irish neighborhood. In June 1879, Mary's decapitated corpse was discovered in a house cornering William Street and Murray Street. Her head was dumped in a bucket. The murderer wasn't a client, but a fellow prostitute called Susan Kennedy. Apparently they had picked up a certain Michael Flanagan, indulged in a lengthy drinking binge, then argued who should claim the prize. (By this time in a stupor, Flanagan was undoubtedly not a wonderful prize.) Anyway, the argument was settled by the axe-wielding Susan.

Every seven years, Mary's ghost is said to wander the area where the dastardly deed occurred. But while William and Murray Streets still exist, little remains of traditional Griffintown. Wandering out this way, I found it's now mostly car lots and an industrial park...and the last Mary sighting was in 1928. However, maybe the scent of fresh blood will tempt her to return. Some old Griffintown warehouses are being converted into apartments...

Spooky Harvey
Ghost-finder General, International Living

Related articles:

To start receiving your own copy of IL Postcards, click here...or forward this e-mail to a friend so they can sign-up to receive their own copy of IL Postcards.

Join in!
Ask or answer a question at IL's online community.

International Living--There's more...
  • IL Postcards is an e-mail newsletter from the editors of
    International Living. For more in-depth articles about the
    world's best opportunities for travel, real estate, investment,
    and living and retiring overseas, which we briefly touch upon
    in this e-mail, subscribe to International Living in print here
    or call 888-884-7792. As a print subscriber along with
    your monthly in-depth print issues, you will receive a free
    copy
    of our latest publication Secrets of the Untourist,
    discounts off our conferences and tours, free white papers
    on a World-Wide Tax Guide, Adventure Travel, and more...
  • Keep IL Postcards coming to your mailbox. If you
    enjoy reading IL Postcards, help us out by "white-listing"
    our service...before its delivery is interrupted.
  • Find out more about IL Conferences, Seminars, and Tours here.
  • For a list of IL's Local Offices and Real Estate Contacts around the world, click here.
  • Advertise with IL, online or in print, here.

Unsubscribe or Change of Address
IL Print Subscribers:
To cancel or for any other subscription issues, write us at:
    International Living
    Order Processing Center
    Attn: Customer Service
    P.O. Box 968
    Frederick, MD 21705

Copyright 2006, Agora Ireland.
5 Catherine Street · Waterford · Ireland
Tel. 888-884-7792
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] | Website: www.InternationalLiving.com
Nothing in this e-mail should be considered personalized investment advice.
Although our employees may answer your general customer service questions,
they are not licensed under securities laws to address your particular
investment situation. No communication by our employees to you should be
deemed as personalized investment advice.