On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Tim Schmidt wrote:

Based on the descriptions of the player's function that I've found on-line, while playing, it supposedly spins up the disk, copies several megabytes of data to it's ram as a buffer, and then spins down the disk. In other words, the ram is there as a buffer and not much else.

Well, that's a description that fits most (all?) disk-based music players. The question is only how much of the ram that is used for buffer and what else there is in there. I would say that the addresses used in the firmware indicates that there's code in at least parts of the ram.

I would assume that executing in ram is faster than from flash. Of course the CF5249 also has 96KB internal ram.