I can highly recommend 7-zip to make things smaller still.
It worked wonders for The DevKit ...try it, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised :)
And to boot it's all gpl open-source etc. :))

ive setup my computer with linux and moved it downstairs so it can stay on 24/7 so youve got another build server if u want it (celly 2.4ghz, 512mb ram), the only downside is that my uploads are capped to about 20KB/s so uploading the 2mb zip actually takes longer than compiling...

We're on 45 builds in the CVS table right now, and only 12 or so of them transfer anything back. But yes, adding a 100 second transfer time to the single build is of course no fun.

so, my suggestion (also happens to decrease your bandwidth usage also) is to strip the non-comiled stuff into a seperate zip for all targets.. (fonts, docs, wps, cfg, etc). removing this from the build dropped 1mb off the zip size... which would work out a fairly big bandwidth saving for everyone seen as these dont really need to be updated frequently... (actally english.lang prob would need to be in the zip...)

This is repeatedly discussed and we've been planning on doing something like this for the 3.0 release. I can't say I have all details sorted out in my head yet as in how this will affect users and how users will know when they want to get a full package and a subset package.

But I don't think having the cvs builds do "light" packages is a solution to anything as there will still be people who want to download a full version and then we need to offer such ones.

Doing full/light packages will help the users who download packages, not build servers that create them.