This is a small feature request that would make things just a bit
easier for heavy RockBox users like myself.

I'd like for Rockbox to keep count of charge/discharge cycles on the
batteries.  That would make keeping track of battery life and when it
is is time to replace them a little easier.

The bare bones feature could be a persistent counter that increments
every time significant charge activity occurs (so many minutes at full
charge current, perhaps?) and the ability to reset the counter when
the batteries are changed.  It should be persistent so that it won't
be reset when the batts are removed for quick charging.

A more complex but useful feature would be a mini-battery database
where battery sets would be identified and tracked by number.  That
way I could have several sets of batteries to cycle through and not
lose discharge cycle counts on any of them.

I presently group my NiMH batteries into sets of 4, each with a serial
number and unique color code, somewhat like resistors, applied as dots
of paint.  That way if I toss a hundred of them into a bucket for
cycling and full charging, I can easily make up the packs again.

I'd like to track cycle life both to see how well the technology is
doing and to be able to predict when would be a good time to replace
'em.

I'm a daily user of my JBR.  It usually ends up on the charger once or
twice a day, even more often when playing high volume, high bitrate
music.  I can easily accumulate 500 cycles on a pack in a year.  Such
a feature would make keeping up with the pack lives much easier.

Thanks,
John
---
John De Armond
http://www.johngsbbq.com
Cleveland, Occupied TN
Don't let your schooling interfere with your education-Mark Twain