My friend won't let me take apart the iriver he lent me, but maybe
someone can give this a shot. Can someone with tools and an ammeter open
up the iriver and stick an ammetre between the battery and the device?
That way you could measure the current consumption of the device, then
try various things in software to see what configuration makes the
current consumption unusually high. Would that be an idea?