On Fri, 13 Oct 2006, Sébastien Hinderer wrote:

Hi,

Bryn Smith :

I used to use a Sony Discman that used to sound two quick beeps in the
headphones when you skipped tracks so you could tell if you weren't
looking at the screen. Would that be something that would help with the
'bus problem'?

I fear it's not what we want. Once you hear the beeps, it's too late already,
you are listening o tThe previous / next track and forced to search
the passage you were listening to again...

Right. And BTW the beep feature already IS implemented.

You said "we"? I'm not the only one with this problem then?

Maybe you'd like to put this feature request on FlySpray:
When "skip forward" is followed by a "skip backward" (or vice versa), return
to the same position instead of restarting.
This might fit well with flushing codec buffer only after ~5 seconds.
Seems feasible for me.

Perhaps... What if I do want to switch tracks though, say I'm browsing a music album?

I fear it's not what we want. Once you hear the beeps, it's too late already,
you are listening o tThe previous / next track and forced to search
the passage you were listening to again...

Something like the VI option: "go back to previous position just before
jump" iow "undo last jump".

That might do it... I guess track skip next/prev is pretty much the only thing this undo would apply to though?

Well I'm trying out one possible solution. I've put my patch up in P#6188, if anyone is interested in trying it out. It's an alternative WPS mode in which skip next/prev cause a 5seconds quick skip forward or backward within the current track. And you can toggle back to the normal mode any time. Comments?

--
Stéphane Doyon
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>