On 9/11/07, Ray Lambert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What the GPL gives you is protection in the default case.  So, if someone
> did want to use the code for something that the GPL doesn't permit, we, as
> the copyright holders, get to decide if that's a use that we're
> comfortable with.  If we are, we can license to that group as we see fit.
> But if we're not, we have the legal authority to tell them to go pound
> sand.

We can *not* re-license Rockbox with an arbitrary license to someone because
a lot of the code in Rockbox is taken from other projects which use among
other licenses the GPL. So to do this we would have to make a thorough audit
of all Rockbox code to identify where it came from and then either get
permission from the (c) holder of that code to do what we want or replace
it, this covers not only about all of our codecs and a large number of
plugins but also various snippets of code in the core. So IMHO this is not
remotely as easy as you make it sound.