> I am willing to give it a shot.

Obviously this is not trivial, because not only the firmware, but the
bootloader has to be changed, too. But would solve this all problems?
For my understanding the USB-ATA bridge works transparently for the
USB Master. The host can directly address the hd sectors. But doesn't
that mean that the USB mass storage drivers of all operating systems
must also support the special 1k boundary of the MK8009GAH? Or do they
do already? I guess this issue already has come up with the ipod 5.5,
but I could not find any information about it.

cu
John