Dave, you have some good points there. I agree with most, especially the part with the "happily accepting invalid syntax", that's a no-go IMHO. I also think that for e.g. the height/width the code complexity is not really worth it.

But I might add, I actually like at least the optional colors (from a user point of view). Especially for new users it can be very confusing when the color they set doesn't appear in the wps. Most wps simply "hard-code" the color for the viewports which they used for the menu, just because because they can't do it more flexible as of now. I highly doubt that most themers intend to fix the wps text colors, some don't even fix them for the menus. Also there's a contradiction: For themes without viewports, including default ones, the wps text color will change with the theme settings. But for themes using viewports, that's not given. That behavior is not consistent, so that I can imagine that this can be very confusing (as already said, particularly for new users).

So, as the colors being the last to parameters, those could at least be consistent with other wps tags, i.e. leaving the pipes out too.