Hi everyone,

Some of you, especially the admins might remember me............(from the attempted CEC X8 port player).

After the previous unsuccessful attempt to port Rockbox onto the CEC X8 players due to the lack of source code, we are now going to make a PMP player (and maybe cell phone as well) based on Freescale i.MX31.

For those who do not know, Freescale i.MX31 is used in Motorola Rizr Z6, Agio MP5 P881, Toshiba Gigabeat S series, Microsoft Zune and other devices......

Specifications and detailed information of MX31 available from Freescale

Current specification (subject to change) of our MX31 PDA+PMP unit can be found here.

Anyone who is interested in obtaining pre-production engineering sample can contact me directly or discuss here.

We are posting here to ask if there is any developer out here who would be interested to assist us to use Rockbox to run MX31 natively or PORT Rockbox as an application to run on Android.
Currently, there is a Google's summer of code 2008 project for Rockbox which aims to make Rockbox to run as an application. The current proposal aims to build a Rockbox port to Motorola ROKR cell phone. However, I am sure it will be of interest to the Rockbox community to Port it as an Android application or run natively as MX31 operating system.

To assist your effort, depending on your needs, we can provide either the
1) MGN MX31 development board, with Linux BSP and drivers (this item should be return on completion of the work because it is expensive!!)
or
2) the production/sample PMP units (you may keep the unit depending on agreed terms)

Development board, production or sample units will come preloaded with the latest Android OS.

We are currently preparing to produce the sample units, expected to be available in 2-3 months. Development board is still being used to port the Android OS and other purposes, but maybe available for loan in 1-2 months.

We may provide financial incentives or free hardware if this can be completed within the next 1-2 months.

Reply here or message me directly if you are interested.

Thanks

(a copy is posted on the Rockbox forum)
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=15873.0