On 19.03.2009 00:13, Paul Louden wrote:
Al Le wrote:

My personal position is also that if a user adds a 0 before a number, they expect it to change something, rather than being ignored. I think, on average, more 0s (in lists meant to be sorted) will be intentional than "accidental."

Paul, I think we can agree that there are different cases. There are cases where a leading zero is intentional and there are cases where it's just there (because you used a wrong setting in the ripping software or because you copied the file from somewhere else). The problem is that a single "natural" sort won't fit all. Maybe we should have two natural sort procedures? One would ignore the leading zeroes, i.e. just consider numbers as in mathematics (it would put "007" after "6") and the other wouldn't (it would put "007" before "6").

The major file browsers (since produced by a techies :-) operate on just numbers, without special treatment of the leading zeroes.