or was your question what happens if you are on a file or folder name and release the joystick. well, in that event the name is spelled out. I don't have a problem with this, as if you are just scrolling by single up or down movements of the joystick you need to keep track of where you are. but if you are scrolling to the end or the beginning my argument is you should know where you are going to end up, and so it would be good if releasing the joystick cut the speech off.

Yes, this is what I meant.

If simply releasing the button were to truncate voice output, then it would do it even if you're only moving up and down one item at a time and that would make voice navigation useless.

I suppose it could do this:
a) Only if the button was held (i.e. you moved multiple items due to key repeat)?
b) Or only if you're at the top/bottom of a list?
c) Or only if both of the above apply?

Hi. If I understand your suggestion right, I think c would probably be the best option. My idea would be that speech output is not cut off by releasing of the joystick, unless you are scrolling to the top or bottom of a list in the file browser, this would result in the file name or folder name being read, or in my case spelled which is why I think this feature would be useful. releasing of the joystick would result in the speech being stopped.

Of course, scrolling single items and having the speech cut off when the joystick is released would not be desirable at all, even if you were reaching the top or bottom of a list.
I'd prefer to keep it simple... ;-)

Yes I agree, I like the sound of the idea in my own mind, but I have a feeling of course I would actually have to see it in practice to get a feeling if it was really desirable.