> Would a single, say 32k, buffer be sufficient for all possible DSP without
> needing enable setting?

Yes - assuming you can gain that 32k back from somewhere else! ;-)

More seriously  I don't know if the same buffer could be used for both
timestretch and other DSP purposes - I suspect not.

It would be better if crossfade could be moved from pcmbuf into the dsp
area, then the existin dynamic alloction of crossfade buffers could be
generalised to be a sum of all the DSP requirements.  This only requires
that playback is restarted (ideally, just a tiny "gap" in the audio, and no
rebuffering).

pondlife