On Thursday 22 October 2009 09:24, Rob Purchase wrote:

> There has recently been some discussion and patches on Flyspray about
> allowing button combinations using the HOLD switch

> When this has been brought up in IRC or on the tracker it's usually been
> instantly dismissed without any real reasoning other than "I don't like
> it". What I'd like to do is get some real discussion around the issue
> and come to a decision about whether we can accept this.
>
> One common response is "hold should stop all buttons working".

That, to me, seems to be pretty fundamental in the definition of "hold".

> - Allows Rockbox to further its goal of being a full firmware
> replacement, by implementing one of the OF's most useful features

Does this mean the standard firmware on the Cowon D2 responds to (certain)
button presses even when the Hold switch is activated, and does the manual
still call it a "Hold switch"?

I'd find that surprising (but I don't have a Cowon player).

> Disadvantages:
> - Potential for unintended button presses (not an issue on the D2, as
> stated above)

I have an iRiver H340, and the Hold switch on that really does what the name
suggests - it prevents all other buttons from being functional.

I really do expect:

a) a pocket-carried device to have a mode where all button presses are
ignored, and the action to disable this mode is not one which should happen
by accident (eg: a slide switch as on the H340, or a multiple non-adjacent
key combination)

b) "Hold" to mean "Hold" - ie: if there is a mode called "Hold" then it should
disable all buttons (except whatever is used to exit from Hold mode).  If
some buttons are in fact still operable in this mode then I think it should
be called something other than "Hold".

Regards,

Antony.

--
"A person lives in the UK, but commutes to France daily for work.
He belongs in the UK."

 - From UK Revenue & Customs notice 741, paragraph 2.8
 - http://tinyurl.com/2qoqjn

                                                     Please reply to the list;
                                                           please don't CC me.