Hi all,

Here's a short status update on the Meizus (M3, M6SP, M6SL):
* The Meizu M3 port is the most advanced of the Meizus right now,
  display output works and we can compile and run a bootloader binary
  (it doesn't actually boot or load anything though...). A lot of
  progress was made just after devcon euro 2009 with drivers written
  for most peripherals, but development basically stopped at the FTL
  (flash translation layer) and USB driver.
* The Meizu M6SP just displayed its first rockbox logo this weekend :)
* The Meizu M6SL display controller has been identified but there's
  no working display driver yet. Having a display to dump registers etc.
  makes further development a lot easier.

With the recent developments for the ipod nano 2g (which uses almost
the same SoC, S5L870X), I think there's renewed opportunity to get the
meizu ports further along.

To get rockbox booting, I think we still need the following:
* FTL / NAND access:
  My idea is to stop trying to understand the Meizu NAND/FTL and
  simply use the one now being developed for the ipod nano 2g.
  This breaks compatibility with the OF of course...
* USB:
  Write a USB driver for the USB controller in the samsung.
  Possibly parts could be reused from the usb-tcc driver, or maybe
  just write it from scratch (we do have a datasheet for this).
* DRAM:
  We need to initialise DRAM properly, this shouldn't be too hard.

A rockbox bootloader for the meizu could work like this:
1) Check if the NAND flash is formatted OK with the rockbox FTL.
   If not, format it with our FTL and go to USB mode.
2) Try to load the main rockbox from the FS into DRAM and run it.
   If this fails, go to USB mode.
3) "USB mode": allow files to be written over USB through the FTL.
Installation of rockbox would be a two-step process, first install
this bootloader either directly in DFU mode or by means of a
"firmware upgrade" in the OF, second install the main rockbox
files in the bootloader USB mode.

The meizus are not fundamentally different from each other so once
we get one of them to boot rockbox, the others should not be far behind.

Kind regards,
Bertrik