But anyway, I have one question I hope someone might be able to answer for me. I believe I have set everything up correctly from a technical point of view.
However on the wiki page it says
"Set -username to your IRC nickname, so we know who runs the client."

I haven't ever used the rockbox irc channel and don't feel I am likely to do so, I prefer to use the mailing lists and I am on both the ordinary users list and the development list.

However I am quite happy to provide a name, I was thinking of just my name as one word so alexwallis.

So this is my question, is there some procedure I need to follow to register this as my official irc name? As I see all the big irc users have a page where there irc names are listed along with there real ones.
If the name you use consists of your real name, it's ok. The point about using a known name is so we know who to contact in case of troubles ;)

Peter