Hi list.
I am writing to suggest committing fs#10766

this patch adds a new method of moving through audio files to the skip length option called binary skip.

At first it does sound quite complex, but I have been using this patch for a while now, and routinely use it when I have a long audio book that I first start listening to on the computer, and then want to carry on listening to on my 140.

Basically what the patch does is if your at the start of a file and you have binary skip enabled, is when you skip forward in the file, you are jumped to half way through the file. if you then go back or forward in either direction, you are then taken half the distance of your first jump, and each jump after that moves you in smaller and smaller amounts to enable you to home in on the area of the track you want to continue listening from.

The idea is quite complicated to explain but it does make navigating around long audio files very easy.

Also, Sean put in a few features that are not present on the latest patch in the tracker.

One is that a rapid click of the keys that move you in the file will jump to the next track as they would normally do if binary skip wasn't turned on.

Another useful feature is that voice announcements are made after every jump telling you where you are in the file. But I hope when Sean has time that this will be made configurable, as I feel if this is to be committed it should certainly be configurable weather to get the speech announcements or not.

But I really like his concept, and it does add a very nice level of flexibility to long audio track navigation.

I do also feel a jump to time feature would also be very useful,but I use fs#10766 almost every day when I am out and about. But jump to time would also be useful if I knew exactly where I wanted to get to.