On 12/21/2010 7:47 PM, Mike Giacomelli wrote:

That seems reasonable.  List the parts that are of concern to you and we can
commit the rest in the mean time.

I doubt many people are interested in me re-describing something I've already described here a few times - my main concern is the degree of automation. This feature comes with several options that actually serve to reduce the flexibility of the feature.

My personal use case of auto resume would be this:

Music - doesn't need to be resumed (but don't care if the first song I select is resumed, since I can skip back once if this happens).

Audiobooks - always resume the first file, but never later files in the playlist. Because my audiobooks sometimes are composed of many small files, and sometimes a single large file, the filtering by size option is also prone to get things wrong about these were I to need to use it.

Podcasts - Resume multiple files in the same playlist, in case I have a few incomplete ones I wish to finish off, and because I never have two-file podcasts.

Music and podcasts can be handled by his feature. Or music and audiobooks. But not a combination of the use case I'd like involving both audiobooks and podcasts. Meanwhile the options and automation, in my opinion, make the feature harder to use while reducing its flexibility. I've described a different way to present the feature with both less confusing options and the ability to cover more use cases.

If you want a description of the subset I'd welcome being included now, I'd say this:

The option to turn auto-resume on/off.
No other options, with the default behaviour when it's on to be "all files, but never subsequent files within one playlist."

First, I think this will cover probably about 70-80% of people's auto-resume needs already. As well, from this point the feature can be expanded into either his description of the feature or mine, or probably any other without having to take any steps back.