I've been thinking about this project and came across a different
approach. Instead of implementing unionfs-like view inside the file
browser, I would be using the database for "Merged folder view". This
project would involve improving tagnavi capabilities to allow such
hierarchical view of the folders. Since it would be read-only, there
would be no mess with file and folders locations, also I guess
duplicated files wouldn't cause problems.

And since this project is probably easier, it would also focus on
implementing some other useful features to tagnavi. Some things I
missed on it were, for instance, composing logical operators like OR
(as sideral mentioned) and basic regexp support.

Let me know what you think of this.

Marcelo