On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:10:03, Paul Louden wrote:
> Ideally we should start with "what do we want from a version control
> system?" What role does it serve in our project? How do we intend to
> use it? What features does it need to have? What features would be
> nice to add on to those?

Most of the current DVCSs have a very similar feature set to each other
and I don't believe that any one of them has any significant unique
features that make it stand out from the others in any objective measure.

But the differences between centralized and distributed VCSs are
significant and will impact the way people work.

So the first question to ask is if the benefits of a DVCS are desirable to
this project and enough to justify a change.

If the answer is YES then discuss which one is best.

[I fear, however, that any such discussion will devolve quickly into
shouting (or worse); we've already seen hints of that here.  Because of
this, if the decision is made to move to a DVCS, I would suggest bypassing
the discussion and going straight to a quick vote.  (Unfortunately that
probably favors git as it's the best known.)]

~ray