Let me respond to three messages in this thread in just one reply.

Alex Parker <parker.ale...@gmail.com> writes:

> Can't we think of some way of having all the sleep timer stuff
> together?

That's a good question.  Right now almost all functions have their
configuration sitting in the (separate) Settings menu.  The present
patch does the same for the sleep timer, but it's becoming clear that in
doing so it hampers an important use case: selecting a new duration each
time the sleep timer is started.

Thomas Jarosch <t...@simonv.com> writes:

> How about this one:
>
> *** Settings > General > System > Sleep timer ***
> Default sleep timer duration (time)
> Start at boot (yes/no)
>
> *** System > (Date & Time) menu ***
> "Start sleep timer" -> Brings back the old sleep timer selector
> with the "default sleep timer duration" selected as default.
>
> That way we would get the persistent sleep timer and a sensible
> default value while keeping to freedom to choose another value easily.

I like your proposal very much.  I think it's the best compromise we can
achieve in the short run: It provides both a default (at the expense of
one more click than in the present patch) and the option to select a new
value each time.

Hayden Pearce <saint.lascivi...@gmail.com> writes:

> I genuinely believe there is a valid argument for pulling the Date &
> Time menu out of System and putting it in Settings. [...]
> IIRC both Thomas and sideral agreed that moving Time & Date into
> Settings would make this patch a lot easier on the user when I
> brought it up on IRC [...]

I agree with most of what you said, but I'd prefer to discuss the best
placement of the Time & Date menu and the sleep timer separately from
the present patch.

I'd just like to point out that I never agreed that the function to
start the sleep timer belongs under Settings.  Quite to the contrary: I
always said that I believe only settings belong into that menu, but not
functions.

sideral