Am 30.11.2011 13:35, schrieb Thomas Jarosch:
Hi,

I just noticed a performance regression with rockbox 3.10
compared to rockbox 3.9 on the Nokia N900.

FWIW, IMO you shouldn't use the release versions/terms for RaaA/Maemo as 3.10 (or any previous release) isn't released for it. Releases apply only to stable targets and have no meaning whatsoever for unstable/unusable ones. There's simply no 3.9 or 3.10 for those.

CPU usage increased by 15 to 20 percent when playing
back a mp3 file. To verify it I downgraded to 3.9,
watched the "top" output and upgraded to 3.10 again,
always playing back the same mp3 file.

Audio playback on maemo 5 is handled by gstreamer / pulseaudio.
I can see an even increase in CPU usage both on the
running rockbox binary and the pulseaudio daemon.

Vague guess: The PCM buffer is passed in smaller chunks
to the OS in 3.10 and therefore causing more handling overhead.

There was a work in that area for the software mixer. Perhaps that's the reason? The chunk size was about 32K before that work. Don't know the current value.

Best regards.