On 26/02/12 11:29, Frank Gevaerts wrote:
On Sun, Feb 26, 2012 at 11:21:07AM +0000, Alex Parker wrote:
If USB is not to be enabled on 3.11, then we revert the bootloader
change. Rockbox Utility should be installing bootloaders that work
with the current release. If people are using current builds then
they can also install an alternate bootloader manually if they so
desire. We do releases for a reason, and they should come first.

The way I understand it (which could be wrong) is that the dualboot code
(i.e. the bit that decides which bit gets to boot) is *not* in the
bootloader as in the files that are downloaded, but in bits of code
that's embedded at build time into rbutil and/or mkamsboot. This has
the big advantage of making bootloader experimentation more or less
safe (i.e. you can't even touch the bit that lets you boot the OF to
recover), but it does make this particular situation a bit more
complicated than we'd like it to be.

Hmmm, OK. While that makes it a bit more difficult for people wanting to install reverse operating bootloaders I don't think it changes the basic premise - if 3.11 doesn't have USB enabled then the change in mkamsboot/rbutil gets reverted and a new release of mkamsboot/rbutil is done at the same time.

Alex