Definitely, user must know exactly what's going on BUT errors must not be
verbose otherwise usability decreases.
I suggest that when introducing such a new behaviour we should carefully
think about other possible behaviours (i.e. SD being removed for some
reason) and related implications, underlining the fact that we run on
several different targets.
Possible ideas:
- design new icons for the status bar
- design a new way of reporting problems to user
- define error codes and human readable messages for each one
- another effect can be the possibility to temporarily disable write
support for debugging or whatsoever reason
- define new events that can occur (also, storage may become dinamically
read only for many reasons, also fatal errors on filesystem)

All in all I find these non-functional features a great deal to make
Rockbox more robust ;)

Lorenzo