On Sat, Jun 15, 2019 at 10:19 PM me--- via rockbox-dev <
rockbox-dev@cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> I have decided to finish my port of Wolfenstein 3-D (available at
> http://gerrit.rockbox.org/r/#/c/1653/). Before I push it, there are some
> licensing issues that need to be cleared up. My current code is using
> MAME's OPL emulator, which is GPL incompatible. I intend to replace it with
> DosBox's OPL emulator, which should solve that issue.
>

> However, the main issue--and the reason I am writing the list--is this:
> the license of the original Wolfenstein 3-D source code itself is unclear.
> Id software officially released the code under a custom, restrictive
> license. However, over the years, various source ports claim that it is GPL
> compatible (see https://github.com/AlumiuN/Wolf4SDL, for example), and I
> think it's doubtful that id would waste their time chasing down infringing
> users of a 27-year old game.

Seems to be worded vaguely enough though, starting at
https://github.com/AlumiuN/Wolf4SDL/blob/master/license-id.txt#L39 (Prohibited
Uses).  Can not Rent; Sell; Lease; Offer on a pay-per-play basis;
Distribute for money or any other consideration; or In any other manner and
through any medium whatsoever commercially exploit or use for any
commercial purpose.

And on https://github.com/AlumiuN/Wolf4SDL/blob/master/license-id.txt#L35

"With the exception of the Educational Use right, you may not
otherwise use the Software, or an portion of the Software, which includes
the Source Code, for commercial gain."

Is Rockbox considered a commercial entity?