May 5, 2021 4:44 AM, "Solomon Peachy via rockbox-dev"
<rockbox-dev@cool.haxx.se> wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 25, 2021 at 10:31:16PM +0000, mat via rockbox-dev wrote:
>
>> So, they must've done a fair bit of work to get the hardware working
>> with Rockbox. They really should be complying with the GPL.
>
> Hmm, you used the 'S' word...
>
> (But yeah, they would have had to put a lot of work into their rockbox
> port..)

Hah, sorry about that, I know that can trigger some people!
They need to pass those changes upstream then right?

>> The other question is: Is this device any good? I am constantly
>> looking for a replacement for my sansa clip as I'm sure it's going to
>> die soon (this is my 4th!)
>
> Honestly, it's a poor substitute for the Clip series; it's aiming for
> the quasi-oxymoronic "cheap audiophile" market. It's relatively bulky,
> heavy, runs hot, and has crappy battery life. This particular model has
> a better screen than most of its siblings, but that's a double-edged
> sword.
> Its only real technical advantage is that, due to using a bare-metal
> micrcontoller, it boots up _very_ quickly compared to its nominal
> "audiophile" competition.. and is only concerned with music playback
> instead of apps and ecosystems and streaming services...
..but still, it works and it's baremetal...which is something I need (well,
'want')
I will only get one if I can get the source for it though.