cum s-ar zice mult zgomot pentru nimic.... pentru ca bucuresteanul de rand nu
are nimic de castigat, dar are nervi de facut in trafic si restrictii de
inghitit.

----- Original Message ----
From: Vali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Vali <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, March 27, 2008 8:58:22 AM
Subject: [Romania-News] 25 de milioane de euro pe apa Sambetei?

In loc de ascunsul
gunoiului sub covor si alte chestii de fatada, de luat ochii soacrei, cate
nu se puteau face cu banii astia?  Timp de cateva zile, centrul
Bucurestiului si traseul oficial vor arata mai mult sau mai putin
impecabil.  Dar putem sa stam linistiti, nici o minune nu dureaza mai mult
de 3 zile.  De pe 5 aprilie incolo, imaginea orasului va reveni la
"normal".  Evident, "normalul" cu care suntem noi obisnuiti.  Se vor
intoarce si cainii maidanezi, si cersetorii, si masinile parcate aiurea, si
mitocania... ce mai, orasul va redeveni "Bucurestiul nostru iubit", lasat prada
edililor si clientelei lor.

P.S.  Am
inteles ca se planteaza si pomi pe traseu.  Ma intreb daca vor ramane
acolo, sau vor fi recuperati dupa summit.  Si, apropo, cum de nu le-a venit
organizatorilor ideea sa vopseasca in verde (ca pe vremea "odioasei dictaturi
si
a sinistrei sale sotii") frunzele prafuite ale pomilor existenti (aia putini,
cati au mai rezistat furiei "dezvoltatorilor" )?  Sau poate le-a venit si nu
stiu eu...

------------ --------- -------

Vali
"Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions are the chief mark of
greatness." (Carlo Goldoni)
"When
the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
(Jimi
Hendrix)
Aboneaza-te
la ngo_list: o alternativa moderata (un pic) la [ngolist]
Please consider the environment - do you really need to print this
email?

http://lizuca. wordpress. com/2008/ 03/26/spring- cleaning- and-summitry/

Spring Cleaning
and Summitry
March 26, 2008 by lizuca

Less than a week before the NATO summit and the city is still going through its
“extreme makeover”.
Roads are being repaired, pockets of pansies and primula are appearing in
hastily dug flower beds along the main roads (but so too are the weeds), they
have finally got around to putting in street lamps near Baneasa airport where
for months we have been treated to the sight of loose cabling sticking out of
the ground like so many bare trees. There are signposts in the centre of town
telling everyone how to get to districts of Bucharest that the NATO Summit
visitors will never actually visit.

They are repainting the white lines in the roads, though I can’t for the life
of me understand why.
Romanian drivers on the whole ignore them as an unwelcome piece of road art,
and when the Summit convoys are on the move, no-one else will be allowed on the
road anyway so it doesn’t much matter.

NATO has ordered dozens of
portaloos be installed in the conference venue because the half a dozen that
are
there will not serve 3000 people, contrary to what Madam Architect of the
building believes. And they’ve rounded up about 500 stray mutts from the
vicinity of the airport and crowded them into cages at the pounds in the hope
that out of sight will be out of mind. But what about the dogs that are not on
the convoy routes, several thousands of them?  Perhaps the dogs know better
than to wander off in the direction of the hundreds of law enforcement officers
that will be patrolling the main routes.  And what will they do with them
afterwards?  They can’t afford to feed them; they’re not allowed by law to
euthanise them; and no-one wants to adopt them.
My guess is they’ll turn them all out on the street again the minute the last
plane leaves.

And there’s a new phenomenon now - abandoned horses.
Their owners are forbidden to use their horse and carts on the roads; if they
do, their carts are confiscated; they have no money to feed their animals and
so are forced to abandon them.  I saw two abandoned behind a petrol station a
couple of weeks ago, looking half starved and in miserable condition.  But
could I find anyone to call to have them looked after? Nobody I knew how to
track down.  But as long as these poor animals are nowhere near the airport or
within sight of the visiting dignitaries, who cares anyway.

Never mind the poverty that forces people to such extreme measures.  Much
better to spend 25 million Euros on a slap dash decorating job that will last a
few months but will save the authorities from the embarrassment of some
critical comment about the state of the city they have neglected for years.

So why are they doing all this?  Are they so desperate to show the rest of the
world what a civilized city Bucharest is?  Do they really think a coat of paint
and a few pot plants here and there will succeed in distracting European
leaders from the childish political games that continue to bemuse the general
population, or from the dysfunctional justice system which has put the
responsibility to waive or not to waive parliamentary immunity in cases of
corruption investigations right back into the hands of …yes,  the
parliamentarians?  (No prizes for guessing which way they decide.)

And while they’re preoccupying themselves with decorating and sweeping, the
real business of what will be agreed at the NATO summit seems to be going on
without much input from the host country.  As is so often the case, they are
more worried about form than substance.  As long as they get to shake lots of
important hands and no-one complains about the dirt or the dogs, they can claim
the summit is a success for Romania’s image.

>From this weekend the city will start to shut down.  The airport road will be
>down to one lane.  The convoy routes, supposedly confidential for security
>reasons though you only have to look for the plants and the paint to know
>which they are, will be closed to normal traffic.  Air traffic will be
>severely disrupted, though not for TAROM passengers since their flights have
>been cancelled altogether.  Antiterrorist police are scouring manhole covers
>(where they’ve been stolen, I assume they’ll have them replaced), parking will
>be forbidden along main routes (if only they would keep that measure in place
>permanently) and extra security surrounds sensitive points, though not the
>thousands of exposed gas pipes and electricity junction boxes throughout the
>city.

All in all, the week will be hell on earth for those people forced to go to
work, like most of the public servants in the capital who haven’t been given
time off.  On the plus side, travel agents are doubling their business selling
holiday packages to Bulgaria and Greece.  I for one am off at the weekend and
will be back when the madness has died down. Let’s see if all this effort and
expense has achieved anything useful for the average Romanian citizen in the
long-term.

For those who read Romanian, I recommend a recent article by Alina Mungiu
Pippidi on the subject  - http://www.romanial ibera.ro/ a120496/poale-
peste-nato. html
Blog at WordPress.com

<!--

#ygrp-mkp{
#ygrp-mkp hr{
border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
#ygrp-mkp #hd{
#ygrp-mkp #ads{
margin-bottom:10px;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad{
padding:0 0;}
#ygrp-mkp .ad a{
color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
-->

<!--

#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
font-family:Arial;}
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
#ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
-->

<!--

        #ygrp-mlmsg {font-size:13px;font-family:arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}
#ygrp-mlmsg select, input, textarea {font:99% arial, helvetica, clean,
sans-serif;}
#ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
#ygrp-text{
font-family:Georgia;