For immediate release: April 14, 2005

> Shocking levels of dioxin contamination found near proposed EU-funded
> waste site in Bulgaria
>

> Sofia, Bulgaria -- A study of free-range chicken eggs produced in the
> village of Kovachevo in the Stara Zagora region of Bulgaria has
> revealed evidence of alarming levels of dioxins and polychlorinated
> biphenyl (PCB) contamination, pointing to the crucial need for
> Bulgaria to fulfill its commitment to reduce human exposure to
> harmful persistent organic pollutants (POPs). [1]
>

> However, the Bulgarian Ministry of Environment and Water continues to
> promote the construction of a facility which will be a future POPs
> emitter two kilometres from Kovachevo and which will include a 15 000
> tons per year incinerator as well as asbestos and hazardous waste
> landfills. The National Hazardous Waste Centre (NHWC) project is
> seeking substantial funding from the European Investment Bank (EIB)
> and European Union ISPA funds.
>

> The study showed one of the highest levels of dioxins ever measured
> in chicken eggs. Dioxins in eggs from Kovachevo exceeded the European
> Union limit by a factor of more than 20. The level of PCBs found in
> the eggs was more than double the proposed EU limit.
>

> According to official estimations from the national Environmental
> Agency, more than 40 percent of the dioxin air emissions in 2002
> derived from three thermal power plants, like the Maritsa East II
> thermal power plant, situated in the Stara Zagora region. Other
> sources for the pollutants include obsolete pesticide storage in the
> village and a brick factory 15 kilometres from Kovachevo.
>

> "It's obvious that POPs have already gotten into the food chain and
> for Kovachevo the results are terrifying," said Ivaylo Hlebarov from
> Za Zemiata, a Sofia-based member group of CEE Bankwatch Network.
> "People in the area already suffer from different types of cancer and
> respiratory diseases and they eat contaminated food every day. If the
> toxic substances are now at extremely high levels, what about after
> the construction of the NHWC? The Environment ministry has ignored
> the concerns of NGOs and locally affected people who have argued
> against the NHWC for five years. Instead of helping the local
> population to deal with such high contamination the European
> Commission and European Investment Bank are still planning to finance
> our government's plan for an incinerator project which will only
> perpetuate the region's health and environmental problems."
>

> During an official meeting in June 2004 between NGOs, the Environment
> ministry and the EU delegation to Bulgaria, ministry representatives
> said that they do not have any background measures of toxic
> substances, but will measure the incinerator emissions twice a year
> once it is operational.
>

> "This is absurd. The Environment ministry is set to give the go-ahead
> to another POPs emitter without having any real measures for breast
> [...]

Take a look at donorschoose.org, an excellent charitable web site for
anyone who cares about public education!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/_OLuKD/8WnJAA/cUmLAA/RR.olB/TM

*** sustineti [romania_eu_list] prin 1% din impozitul pe 2005 -
detalii la http://www.europe.org.ro/euroatlantic_club/unulasuta.php ***

Yahoo! Groups Links