Title: Mesaj

President Barroso proposes a new framework to “lock-in” a culture of fundamental rights in EU legislation

The European Commission has today adopted a new mechanism to ensure that all Commission legislative proposals are systematically and rigorously checked for compatibility with the Charter of Fundamental Rights. The new mechanism is based on a process of systematic screening of legislation from the earliest preparatory work through to inter-service consultation. The other key instruments consist of: impact assessments on the effect of legislation on individual rights; and an examination of the legal reasoning for legislation - with an assessment of its effects on fundamental human rights. The new Commissioners Group on Fundamental Rights, Anti-discrimination and Equal Opportunities will ensure that the results of these examinations are taken into account throughout the legislative process.

President Barroso said, “When I presented my Commission to the European Parliament last autumn, I said that the respect and enforcement of fundamental rights, the fight against discrimination and promotion of equal opportunities were essential priorities. This initiative is a flagship example of the principled approach that this Commission has embraced when it comes to taking fundamental rights seriously. Today we are sending a clear signal that we are determined to match intentions with deeds. This new system of oversight is balanced and proportional. Most importantly, it reflects our determination to lock-in a culture of fundamental rights in the EU legislation.”

This initiative responds to concerns that, as the Union’s impact on citizens’ daily lives increased, it did not always take fully into account classic civil rights like those guaranteeing freedom of _expression_ and information and those protecting citizens against intrusive powers of the state. The Charter of Fundamental Rights responds to those concerns - and with this new mechanism, every legislative proposal will be screened for compatibility with the Charter. This is the first initiative of the new Commissioners Group on Fundamental Rights, Anti-discrimination and Equal Opportunities which was established under the Barroso Commission. Other issues under preparation by the new Commissioner’s group include: proposals for a Fundamental Rights Agency and for an Institute for the Equality between Men and Women; the preparation of proposals for an anti-discrimination strategy and a European Year for equal opportunities for all; the preparation of an initiative on the protection of children.

*** sustineti [romania_eu_list] prin 1% din impozitul pe 2005 -
detalii la http://www.europe.org.ro/euroatlantic_club/unulasuta.php ***

Yahoo! Groups Links

Raspunde prin e-mail lui