Romania lobbies for EU  <http://euobserver.com/9/23391> entry 'perspective'
for Moldova

31.01.2007 - 17:44 CET | By Andrew Rettman

EUOBSERVER / BRUSSELS - Brussels should give Moldova a clear perspective for
future EU entry on the model of the Western Balkan states, Romanian
president Traian Basescu said in the European Parliament on Wednesday (31
January) in a sign of how Europe's poorest state stands to benefit from the
Bucharest lobby inside the EU.

"The people of Moldova susbcribe to European values. I'm not talking about
the Republic of Moldova, but the values of the people of Moldova who feel
extremely European," he said. "If we think of countries that have a European
perspective we should think of Moldova and the Western Balkans."

The president showed sensitivity to Europe's current anti-enlargement
climate by adding that "Romania absolutely agrees the EU's first priority is
the constitutional treaty and institutional reform."

His aside about "the Republic" referred to Moldova president Vladimir
Voronin's recent pro-Moscow swing.

But the linkage of Moldova with the Western Balkan countries - some of which
are already EU candidates and all of which got a firm promise that their
"future lies in the EU" at the December 2006 EU summit - runs counter to
prevalent EU thinking on Moldova as a European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP)
state instead.

The ENP, which covers 19 countries in a ring stretching from Morocco to
Belarus, gives zero promise of enlargement with EU-hopefuls such as Moldova
or Ukraine seeing the policy as a 10-year or more waiting room before any
talks on accession can even begin.

Moldova wants to break out of the ENP club by converting its current
"Partnership and Cooperation Agreement" with the EU - which expires in
mid-2008 - into a new "Association Agreement" with a declaration that gives
clear commitments on future accession: a feat that Ukraine is also trying
and failing to accomplish.

"We have to take one step at a time," Hans-Gert Poettering, the European
Parliament president and self-proclaimed confidante of German leader Angela
Merkel, said on Mr Basescu's ideas.

"We have to assist Moldova in moving along its European line. But we've got
to bridge the next few years with a neighbourhood policy."

A Moldovan diplomat told EUobserver "we are not asking for detailed terms
but we do want a clear perspective to be built into the commitments,"
comparing his country to EU candidate Macedonia. "We have the same level of
development, the territory is about the same size, the population is about
the same size."

He acknowledged that Moldova's problem with Trasdniestria - a breakaway
republic on its eastern border stuffed with Russian ammunition dumps and
soldiers - will not make the EU any more keen to give acccession promises,
but said an EU entry horizon "could help conflict resolution in this
region."

Romania joined the EU in January 2007 in a move that has seen over half a
million of Moldovans scramble to get Romanian (and so EU) citizenship, on
the basis of the close historical ties between the two states: Moldova was
part of Romania as recently as 1939.

"You know these people are really Romanians - they speak the same language,
they have the same values. Moldova is still really part of Romania," a
senior Romanian diplomat told EUobserver, with the two countries flirting
with the idea of reunification in the early 1990s but with talks coming to
nothing in the end.

"Moldova will lobby relentlessly for Moldova's eventual accession to the EU
despite an unfavourable climate in the EU toward further enlargement,
offering to act as Moldova's 'advocate' in the EU and other international
forums," CEPS analyst George Dura recently wrote.

C 2007 EUobserver

Vali
"Noble blood is an accident of fortune; noble actions are the chief mark of
greatness." (Carlo Goldoni)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know
peace." (Jimi Hendrix)