Yes, the wording is good.  I only changed a couple of little things:

 1. The response code for "subject required" is now numeric.  There's no
need to output and then compare a string when the value will be found in
the same position every time.

 2. Intead of automatically setting the "subject required" bit on every
new mailbox room, I added a few lines of code to evoke the "subject
required" ENT0 response either if the room bit is set *or* if at least one
Internet email recipient is being specified.

 Go ahead and document it.  We can keep it this way.

 Obviously we need to tweak it a little more for it to be useful.  The
text client needs to be modified, both for the config option itself and
for it to request a subject when the server tells it to.  And as you
mentioned, we need to put some hooks into webcit to "encourage" the user
to specify a non-blank subject when it's recommended.