Thanks for the insight.  Recurrence is defined in an iCalendar event as a
set of rules attached to the base event.  libical contains a set of
functions to expand the recurrence.  The way I see it, we have to do this
in three places:

 1. Display code - expand recurrences when rendering a calendar (duh)

 2. Event editor - obviously the user needs to be able to define and
change recurrences

 3. Free/busy check - expand recurrences when checking a particular time
for availability

 The method you're describing sounds like just the right thing for setting
up alarms to be delivered to the user.  We'd only have to keep one
recurrence queued at any given time.