>I'm assuming, based on my reading of the code and its output, that it
parses
 >the entire database and updates the reference counts system wide. I'm
 >assuming it is correct to run that after restoring from backups taken on
 >running database (i.e. restoring database and logs sequentially).

 Your guess about what the command does is correct.

      ** Don't run it. **

 It isn't necessary.  Messages are in the database, reference counts are
in the database, everything is in the database.  The first time you run
citserver after restoring from a backup, it will play back the logs, and
everything will be correct, including the reference counts.