The traditional need for a distributed database is what drove the design that
allows a single email domain to contain addressees spread across any number
of Citadel server nodes.  But as you correctly point out, that kind of thinking
is rapidly becoming obsolete (except in the Microsoft world where they maintain
that illusion to sell expensive server licenses and even more expensive industry
certifications).  And no one is going to use Citadel (or Exchange) as the
basis of a hyperscale email system, so it's really pointless at this stage.

 That's why in the next major version I want to abandon the concept of
network-wide
email domains.  To the best of my knowledge, nobody is using Citadel in that
way, and it really just creates a support headache.