Thanks for the thought.  I noticed the citadel server has a line of code in there to block CREU from working when there is LDAP auth.

# sendcommand CREU ItSeemedLikeAGoodIdea
sendcommand: started (pid=29593) connecting to Citadel server at /var/run/citadel/citadel-admin.socket
200 email1 Citadel server ADMIN CONNECTION ready.
CREU ItSeemedLikeAGoodIdea
570 User accounts are not created within Citadel in host authentication mode.
sendcommand: processing ended.

My intuition was that line of code blocking CREU was added to let LDAP using folks know LDAP was the place to create accounts and auth.

Maybe the CREU code could change when using LDAP so that, only if in LDAP mode, and the account lookup fails, give the LDAP engine a chance to find it.  And if found, then load the details into the vcard, then report 'the account already exists'.  Only if the account doesn't exist does citserver emit the above error message.

What say??