I am both thrilled that my CalDAV implementation is coming along and frustrated
that CalDAV is the de-facto standard protocol.  I still think it's a *way*
over-engineered design.  But I finally got Thunderbird to actually display
my calendar.  Booyah!

 Mozilla takes the same approach to calendars as they do to email.  With IMAP
they download the entire message using the most POP-like IMAP syntax they
can come up with, and process everything client-side.  With CalDAV they download
the entire calendar using the most Webcal-like syntax they can come up with,
and process everything client-side.  This is great as a first step, but now
I have to find a more hostile client that uses more obscure CalDAV calling
syntax to test with.