Hey everyone ... just a quick note to let you all know that the current
objective
is still to make the AppImage work reliably on every platform.  It has turned
into a bit of a yak shaving exercise.  I am ok with that though, because it
is improving a lot of things under the covers.

 1. AppImage forced us to deal with the LFHS-vs-consolidated file layout issue.
 LFHS support is now removed, so expect the Debian packages to disappear soon.
 It just wasn't worth it.  citserver now expects a single working directory,
which defaults to /usr/local/citadel but a different one can be specified
with the -h flag at runtime.

 2. Dealing with LFHS uncovered a lot of cruft from the old networker,
especially
a few trillion lines of code dealing with the parsing of netconfig files.
 These were spaghetti and had to go.

 3. Removing the netconfig spaghetti broke the mailing list delivery
and subscription systems, which now must be rewritten to operate in the clean
world.  This effort is mostly complete.

 4. While starting and stopping the server over and over again during testing
of the mailing list system, some counters got out of sync and triggered a
sanity check that I had written into the startup code years ago.  It turns
out that sanity check can't make its corrections because of a deadlock
condition,
so this function needs to be refactored a bit.

 So ... lots of stuff going on, as you can see in the commits, but it's all
under the covers.  I want to get the AppImage out so we can stop hearing from
all the people who had trouble with Easy Install.   Then it's back to webcit-ng.