>That sounds like either modifying the installation CD, or getting a DOS
bootdisk with
>driverfiles and using that after phase 1 (partitioning, formatting,
copying,
>writing MBR/bootsector, rebooting) but before ReactOS installation starts
>from harddisk, to copy files to proper location.

I admit using Reactos.dff to push whole driver packages to bootcd.

>Thanks for the heads-up regarding file location, and .inf processing.
>The 2nd note near bottom of [ ... ] confused me for that.

That note is still valid, but only for simpler one, like storage and network
drivers. Network drivers especially do come in a package with single INF
file, which is picking drivers for specific OS version/arch.

>No idea if that counts like a regressing as VMware video driver
>used to work fine in older VMware software releases combined
>with older ReactOS versions.

Nope. It just was loaded successfuly. The only driver i know to work, is
Vbox Video driver. A simple test: install the driver of your liking (be it
the old vmware driver or any real-hardware driver) and then delete the
ros-specific driver files (vbemp.sys/framebuf.dll or vgamp.sys/vgaddi.dll),
Usually you need only to delete the pair for the video driver you picked at
ROS 1st stage of install (VBE or VGA). ReactOS will crash at startup after a
reboot. It happens not only with QEMU (and its Cirrus driver) but also in
real hardware (Nvidia TnT 32, ATI Rage, Matrox G400 and few more i managed
to install in ROS).

>Simply copying the svga.sys over vbemp.sys and
>vgamp.sys wasn't succesfull, nice black screen.

Yes, overwriting the default driver gives the same result as deleting it.

Regards