The buildtime will naturally increase as improvements are made etc. One can expect this sort of thing to happen. The only solution that I can think of to that (if possible would be applicable to the current targets now but I am not sure how feasable this is) is to allow exclusion of unwanted or unnecessary modules.

About postponing the decision; I am not in any rush to see it implemented, not sure about others. A poll (as Andrew Green originally suggested) is not an idea I would dismiss though. At least it would give some insight as to who would want to be seeing this implemented or not.