Hi !

Today Sylvain and me achieved to compile some bits of ReactOS with RosBE 2.1.1.
Contrary to what happened with RosBE 2.1, the new RosBE version does not
retrigger a full build configuration each time one invokes “ninja”, even if the
CMakeCCompiler.cmake and CMakeCXXCompiler.cmake files are not created (at least
in my case, because it seems that Sylvain sees them). So that’s nice!

In other words I was able to fully compile the host-tools and e.g. compile the
kernel, and other things.

Originally I wanted to directly compile a bootcd, however one cannot compile
correctly “libusbd” (manual command: ninja libusbd) because dlltool.exe
systematically wants to read at address 0x0C000007, therefore inducing a page
fault. I don’t know why, something on ReactOS (or on dlltool) is broken,
whatever… and therefore because of that no bootcd can be created with GCC/RosBE
yet. BUT, I repeat, one can compile other submodules. That’s a big step!!

David Quintana and Giannis started to have a look at installing MSVC on ReactOS
in order to try to see whether it is possible to use MSVC on ReactOS for
compiling itself. They currently block on installing it properly without
installing too much things (e.g. the unneeded .net framework). So that they
could use MSVC builds, and use WinDbg in ReactOS to debug user-mode apps (after
replacing ours (read: Wine’s) riched20.dll with Win2k3’s one).

For my side I’ve already configured a build environment on ReactOS, with RosBE
2.1.1 installed on C:\RosBE, the ReactOS sources in D:\rossrc and the output
build files going into E:\rosbuild . I modified RosBE.cmd in order it to launch
Far Manager in the current directory (at the end of the build environment
configuration) with the adequate command. So that I’m able to browse the source
files and view/edit them in the same (console) window. By the way, commit 62500
http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view=revision
<http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos?view=revision&revision=62500>
&revision=62500 was my first one using SVN from RosBE in ReactOS :D

I could use Notepad++, version 6.5.x (in fact I use it on my host OS), however
it hangs on ReactOS when one quits it, and sometimes puts the CPU usage to 100%
for whatever reason (this problem also happens when trying to play with the
“Open” dialog box when trying to open a file in Notepad++).

I personally think we can start programming ReactOS *inside* ReactOS, i.e.
beginning to self-host ourselves, because globally we are in better shape than
Microsoft was when they started to self-host NT: before their devs were
developing NT on OS/2, and after their first shift to full NT (command line) it
was very painful, especially the first weeks and months (after they switched to
GUI, then added network) (see Showstopper!).

For ReactOS devs it can be a really boost for fixing bugs in ReactOS, either in
the UI or in some more core parts of the OS.

Have fun!

Hermès.