Does this mean Hermes just volunteered to adapt the ~130 patches in JIRA to his new tree structure...?

Am 06.03.2015 um 00:58 schrieb Hermès BÉLUSCA - MAÏTO:
Hi,

So first, please receive my apologies for not having warned in ros-dev about
this (continuation of) tree restructure I did starting with r66575. Indeed
this was the first thing to do before doing anything, even if I talked about
that on IRC and JIRA!

In fact, the tree restructure discussion started 5 years ago, along with the
cmake bringup: see the big thread here:
http://www.reactos.org/pipermail/ros-dev/2010-July/013257.html . At that
time the main argument was that we were also in the middle of changing the
old build system (rbuild) to a new one (cmake) so it was problematic to do
those two big changes at once. Also at that time, seeing the argumentation
of Ged, Timo, Jérôme and the few others (active developers) who dared to
participate to this discussion, it was clear that a tree restructure was
necessary anyway, sooner or later.

In 2012 some tree restructure happened (r56305) by moving around and in a
more logical manner some core components of win32.

What happens now in 2015, i.e. 5 years after ? We have CMake well
established, everything works, but only win32 core was reorganized.

I made http://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-9111 , people started to give
proposals. You came back with the almost same argument, that is to finish
the existing things first (adapt that: at the time of CMake, it was CMake,
now, it's fix all ReactOS 0.4 bugs), and then improve structure of source
tree. Since not all the existing bugs will be fixed by then, we can continue
this way and wait another 5 years in order to have a real tree restructure?
I don't think so.
So I took that for granted and committed r66575.

Active developers really think (at least, myself) it's a pain in the ***
that when we code on some given module (example: shell), we need to modify
some bit of code in base/shell/whatever, some bit of code in
dll/win32/shell32, some bit of code here and there. All the code of the
shell should be tied together. This goes also for everything else: the core
of NT (kernel, ntdll, "base" drivers...), the win32 subsystem (win32k; for
it the change in r56305 started to make things more logical: you would not
have to modify code in some win32k/ directory while also changing
dll/win32/gdi32 or dll/win32/user32 that were by the way amongst all the
rest of wine dlls, etc...) .

Because I didn't want to wait yet another 5 years I decided to start
something.

OK my fault I would have to get a synthesis of the different proposals of
tree restructures I got, then put in ros-dev, then wait 1 month until
everybody starts to vote. Of course you would get people thinking it's
better to do à la Wine and sort the files by extension type (that's what we
almost have currently) and it was already repeated that it is BAD because it
doesn't translate the fact that ROS/windows is built by modules; others
would have thought it's nice to have this piece of thing next to another one
whereas this can be postponed later on until the *obvious* parts of code
have been properly packed together.

And because of that, here is my proposal: UNTIL details get fixed, I propose
to:
- keep the /boot/, /include/, /lib/, /media/ and /tools/ directories (as
well as /cmake/ and the files in / ) untouched.
- ntoskrnl, ntdll and the drivers we have in /drivers/ (SAUF, the multimedia
ones) go into some main "ntcore" directory (ntcore, ntos, call it whatever
you prefer. I'm inclined to the second name, but I'm ok with the first one).
- the keyboard layouts can be moved either to win32ss/ or to / (in case we
can give sense to keyboard layouts in "pure" NT, for example when we run
usetup, etc...)
- ok... my already-done (but revertable) modifs from 66575 (directory
renamings can be done, it's not set in stone).
- putting all printing support in some /win32/printsup (or "printing"...)
directory : that means: localspl, ntprint, printui, spoolsv and spoolss, and
winspool (so far...)

That's what I'm 99.99% sure (and what I think is quite clear). Concerning
the rest (that can create discussion) I still keep it in old directories.

Regards,
Hermès.