He, i hay same concerns not so long ago.
I recommend to install GitHub Desktop app. It is an intuitive GUI for
Windows, but it has a Linux version too.
Basically, you must fork ReactOS repo into your profile (in GitHub). Then,
you will Link GD to that fork, NOT TO MASTER. And at last, you will
download source code from YOUR FORK. Obviously, you will have to sync fork
and main repo later, but its easy to do that via github website