On Saturday 04 March 2006 11:34, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:

> Seems that KDE4 is considering CMake, instead of bksys/scons.

Yes, I've been following this too, and it seems scons/bksys has turned out to
be a little fiasco. From what I've gathered of the story, some serious scons
design problems arose when it was applied to kdelibs (for instance,
discovering dependencies was taking much too long), but the scons devs
('dev', actually, it seems) have remained completely silent. This lead Thomas
Nagy to actually write his own version of scons (named 'waf').

Meanwhile, Alex Neundorf carried on with his cmake efforts, even though
Stephan Kulow didn't like the solution (it's yet another makefile generator
and the langage kinda sucks). But unlike with scons, the cmake devs were very
responsive, so Thomas dropping off the Net is the final nail in bksys'
coffin.

As far as we're concerned, we don't care. It just means that when we start
porting to KDE4, we'll have to change our build system yet again, which we
would have had to do anyway.

--
Guillaume.
http://www.telegraph-road.org