On Thursday 01 Jun 2006 19:56, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> You can write another class, say CustomDriver, extending SoundDriver
> and implementing the needed methods.

Note also that the JACK audio server now includes a MIDI transport layer
in its latest SVN.  JACK is more portable than ALSA, and the MIDI layer
should be more readily adaptable to whatever platform MIDI back-end
you're using than Rosegarden is.  An ideal strategy for porting
Rosegarden MIDI support to another platform would be to first ensure
that JACK and JACK-MIDI work on that platform (thus benefitting all
sorts of other applications) and then create a JACK MIDI I/O driver for
Rosegarden.

(Rosegarden has a JACK driver, but this is a sub-unit for audio only and
is not a subclass of SoundDriver.  Rosegarden in fact confuses the
matter by treating the JACK driver as the audio part of the ALSA
driver, even though JACK itself has no particular dependency on ALSA.
Revision of this design may be in order if we ever want to add support
for JACK MIDI -- which we do, although at the moment it falls into the
category of things we aren't likely to have the time to look at before
the next ice age or thereabouts.  So if anyone else wants to, they can
feel free.)

Chris