On mercredi 27 avril 2022 20:20:39 CEST mark_at_yahoo via Rosegarden-devel
wrote:
> Having tooltips on all but the most obviously-named menu actions would
> be helpful for users. I've tried adding them to some new menus/actions
> I'm coding, but they aren't displayed regardless of whether they're
> specified in the .rc file with:
>
>      <Action ... tooltip="some text">

This seems to only work for actions in a toolbar, says the comment in
ActionFileParser::setActionToolTip().

> or in code with:
>
>      createAction(...)->setToolTip("some text");

That should work.

> After doing online research I also added:
>
>      findMenu("some_menu")->setToolTipsVisible(true);

Good find.
But do you know why it's off by default? Because tooltips on menu items are
pretty annoying, if you ask me ;)
You're trying to read what's available in the menu, and boom, some tooltip
hides parts of it. What's usually done instead, is setStatusTip() and having a
statusbar where the help text appears.

> But the tooltips still aren't displayed.

I can debug this if really needed, but first, what do you think about status
tips instead?

> One more newbie question: Am I correct in
> understanding that ActionFileParser and defining the UI in .rc XML files
> is a custom Rosegarden text-based alternative to QtDesigner?

In a way. But more precisely, this is very much based on the KDE Frameworks
XMLGUI technology. When rosegarden was ported away from KDE technology, a
custom parser for those xml gui files was written.
It's not really like QtDesigner because it's purely about menus and toolbars,
nothing else; and QtDesigner leads to generated C++ code, while this xml file
is parsed at runtime by the application.

--
David Faure, fa...@kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
Working on KDE Frameworks 5