On 10/11/23 9:30 AM, Lorenzo Sutton wrote:
> I'm not totally sure of the pros and cons of this though, before opening a feature request.

  I find this rather disturbing.  🤣

I think the right approach (and a good feature request) would be to first clamp down to <=128 everywhere and don't allow out of range values. Flag them if encountered and limit them to 128. Once we are in full compliance with the MIDI spec, then make this a preference. "Allow program changes beyond 128 (not recommended)" or something like that. If it's useful and it actually works, we should probably support it. Just so long as we make it clear this could lead to instability.

After all, it is completely in violation of the MIDI spec. It's a "use at your own risk" kind of thing. Any setup that is using the MIDI System Real-Time messages will become completely hosed when the right PC comes across.

Ted.